Welcome to the new FSU Department of Classics website! Please excuse any broken links as we make the transition.
The M. Lynette Thompson Library
The History of the Library
The original core of the books in the library was assembled by Dr. Lynette Thompson, when she was chair of the Classics Department for 19 years (1961-1980). Dr. Thompson taught at Florida State College for Women/Florida State University from 1942 until 1994, holding the longest tenure of any faculty member at FSU. She specialized in the poetry of Lucan, and was known in the State of Florida and around the U.S. for promoting the Classics. Dr. Thompson passed on in 2003. The library had been named in her honor in 1996 and she had the pleasure of seeing it established in its current home in Dodd Hall.